a pair, both oil on canvas
Southampton, City Art Gallery, on loan June 1973 - 1997 (inv. nos. L15d and L15j respectively).
Probably W. Lygon, A Catalogue of the Pictures, Chiefly Historical Portraits, at Madresfield Court, 1927, pp. 43-4, nos. 224 & 226 (each as 'Venice'), as hanging on the 'Landing outside Ebony Rooms'; W.G. Constable, Giovanni Antonio Canal, Canaletto, London 1962 (and subsequent editions revised by J.G. Links), vol. II, p. 186, no. 3 (San Marco) and p. 279, no. 228(a)3 (Rialto); L. Puppi, L’opera completa del Canaletto, Milan 1968, p. 111, nos. 242B (Rialto) and 243 (San Marco); J.G. Links, Canaletto. The Complete Paintings, London 1981, p. 64, under no. 200 (the Rialto) and under no. 201 (San Marco); A. Corboz, Canaletto,. Una Venecia immaginaria, Milan 1985, vol. II, p. 656, no. P. 336 (San Marco); J. Ingamells, The Wallace Collection. Catalogue of Pictures, vol. I, London 1985, p. 239, under no. P511; J.G. Links, A Supplement to W.G. Constable’s Canaletto, London 1998, p. 5, no. 3; K. Villis, 'New Attributions: A Tocqué and a Bellotto in Melbourne', in The Annual Journal of the National Gallery of Victoria, 48, 2008, p. 83 ('may also be by Bellotto'); B.A. Kowalczyck, Canaletto e Bellotto. L’arte della veduta, exhibition catalogue, Turin 2008, p. 68, under no. 7; B.A. Kowalczyck, Canaletto- Guardi. Les deux maîtres de Venise, exhibition catalogue, Paris 2012, pp. 101 (under cat. no. 16), 103 (under cat. no. 17); A. Lo Bianco, in Canaletto à Venise, exhibition catalogue, Musée Maillol, Paris, 19 September 2012 - 10 February 2013, p. 100.
John Furnell Tuffen (1752-1820), Park Lane, London; His sale, London, Christie’s, 11 April 1818, lot 93 (Rialto), £48.6s to Park and lot 94 (Piazza San Marco), to Beauchamp; William, 2nd Earl Beauchamp (1782 - 1823); Thence by descent to William, 7th Earl Beauchamp (d.1938), of Madresfield Court, Worcestershire and Halkyn House, Belgrave Square; With Asscher and Welker, London;;;Acquired from the above 18 May 1939 by Arthur Bisgood, England; Thence by descent and gift until anonymously sold (‘The Property of a Charitable Trust’), London, Sotheby’s, 3 December 1997, lot 48, where acquired by Safra Republic Holdings.